Through this uncertain time, we will be sending you weekly updates, cancellations and changes. Watch the www.wilegion.org calendar for updates as they come in.
Headquarters/Service Office/Camp: Updated 3/27/20
- Commander Wischer's Testimonial - Postponed at this time
- Annual Bowling Tournament- Cancelled
- Annual King Day- Cancelled
- Legion College Courses in Little Chute- Postponed at this time
- 2nd District Spring Conference- Changed to teleconference, contact District Commander Julie Muhle at 920-382-4028 if you wish to join the conference
- 6th District Spring Conference- Moved to May 17th, will remain in Green Lake
- 7th District Spring Conference- Moved to June 6th
- 9th District Spring Conference- Postponed at this time
- 10th District Spring Conference- Moved to May 30-31, 2020
- 11th District Spring Conference- Moved to May 16th
- Legion Baseball is still taking registrations, any future information will be shared when available
- National Oratorical Finals cancelled
- National Spring Meetings cancelled
- National Junior Shooting Sports competition cancelled
- National Boys Nation cancelled
- Badger Girls State - Cancelled
- Badger Boys State - Cancelled - Letter from Chairman of the Board - Letter to Donors
- Wisconsin American Legion Law Enforcement Career Academy - Cancelled - Letter from Director
- May Wisconsin American Legion Riders meeting at Headquarters - Cancelled
- 3rd District Spring Conference postponed to June 6, 2020
- National Veterans Golden Age Games scheduled for June 22-27, 2020 - Cancelled
- Victory 360 has created a virtual campaign called the Rise and Shine Challenge. (More information here) This will get people moving, raise awareness for Commander Wischer's Engage22 campaign, and raise money. Please watch for further Facebook posts and share them with your FB friends. We are not the only state doing this, so let's make this go viral throughout the country.
- It is with a heavy heart that Department Headquarters informs you of the passing of Past Department President LaVon Schurman (1986-1987) on April 1, 2020. LaVon joined the American Legion Auxiliary through the service of her father (World War 1), her husband (World War II), and brother (Korea). She was a charter member of Thorpe-Taylor Unit 551 in Beetown, later transferring her membership to Liscum Brothers Unit 482 in Bagley, where she was actively involved until the time of her passing. LaVon was also proud of two stepsons who served in Vietnam, son James (USAF), and especially her daughter, current Department President Joanie Dickerson, US Navy, Retired. Condolences may be sent to the family in care of Joanie Dickerson, PO Box 224, Bagley, WI 53801. Memorials to the Homeless Women Veterans Grant Fund may be sent to ALA-Wisconsin, PO Box 140, Portage, WI 53901
- Information on Small Business Guide for Emergency Loans - Fact Sheet
- Census Workers needed
- REMINDER TO ALL POSTS: While many of us are at a standstill, now would be a great time to get the CPR reports submitted online via myLegion.org. This information is vital to the organization as it is used to show congress our relevancy as a chartered organization.
- Weekly Legislative Update from National
- Your somewhat inspirational quote from this days clips comes from Bill Kelly, a 95-year-old World War II: “I survived the foxholes of Guam, I can get through this coronavirus bulls—t.” (stolen from Mark Seavey at National from his daily messages)
Posts Answering The Call:
Wausau Post 10 is running a project at this difficult time called "Fighting For Those Who Fought For Us"- Delivering Comfort Meals to Veterans. They are providing free meals, prepared by Bunkers Restaurant to ALL veterans. They have a hotline those requesting a meal can call by 4pm each Tuesday. Once a week, 6-8 volunteers deliver the meals to a dedicated location at each home of Wausau area veterans. They are funding the project through donations.
In regards to the Department Spring Meetings to be held May 8-9, 2020, a decision will be made on April 17th. The Headquarters Team will work on a alternate plan between now and then should we need to make any changes to the Spring Meetings.
Please verify any rumors you hear with us at Headquarters before sending information.
Now is the perfect time for Buddy Checks. A 5 minute phone call can make someone's day and alter their spirits as they continue to isolate. If you are able to safely help, offer to go purchase food or other needs for them, make sure they are mentally good and just engage in good conversation.
Attached are some resources to help get through these difficult times. Please use them and share them. Thank you to Military OneSource for some of the information provided.
Please share this information with your Post, County and District. If you know someone who would benefit from this information and is not already recieving it, they can register at https://wilegion.org/contact-signup/. All they need is their email and first and last name.